Stress at work is rather a widespread phenomenon, which consequences can do harm to your health. Stress at work has often been called “The Black Death of the 21st century”. According to the numerous experts, at the present time a considerable part of people suffer from mental disorders, which were caused be the sharp and chronic stress. It gains the epidemic scale and now is one of the main social problems of the modern society.
According to many economists, a lot of organizations lose millions of dollars because of stresses at work (treatment, compensations, loss of money because of employee turnover). Stress, becomes directly or indirectly, one of the main causes for cancer, different kinds of traumas, suicide and a lot of other serious diseases.
According to the public inquiry, conducted by the insurance company:
• 1000000 work absences were caused by the stress at work;
• 27% of workers from different companies said that mostly their stress was caused by their job;
• 45% said that stress connected with work is of high intensity;
• One third of workers considered their quit only because of the stress;
• 70% said that stress at work reduced their mental and physical stress;
All of us know that we cannot control everything we can just change our perception and attitude to what is happening around us. To move in a right direction I offer you 5 steps to follow in order to reduce the stress at work.
1. Try to start your day on a positive tone. Get up 5 minutes earlier, take a deep breath and before to turn on the TV or radio, listen to some relaxing music to improve your morning mood.
2. Arriving at work, leave a few minutes to set yourself to work and be concentrated upon the most important issues. Stay calm, ignore the outside distractions and prepare yourself for the information that comes your way. Then start your working day.
Make a list of the tasks you need to complete, point out those the most important tasks and do them first.
3. You have a limited time for a break, so spend in the most effective way for you. If you are tired from the constant sitting in front of the computer, be active or try to move around a bit. Move away from your desk, do some stretching, shoulder and neck roles, yoga or breathing exercises – it will fill you with energy.
4. At the end of the day, there is always a desire to stare at the monitor without working. However, is it worth doing? Just take a music or movie break – take your mind off work – it can improve your creative thinking.
5. Before going home, come back to that list of things you’ve made at the beginning of the day. Remember that responsibility and integrity are important, however, nothing horrible will happen if you put some tasks off the next day. Finish your day in silence and have a positive attitude to the future rest.